Harold G. Palmer
Inducted in 1976
Harold G. Palmer founded the High Plains Band
Camp in 1947. A native of Hays, he earned
degrees at Fort Hays State Teachers College.
After graduation in 1933, he taught music for two
years in Hill City, and for eight years in Ellinwood.
In 1943, he went to Fort Hays State Teachers
College, where he directed the band and taught
woodwind instruments. He wrote Instrumental
Music in Western Kansas Public School and
Teaching Techniques of the Woodwinds. He has
written articles for Instrumentalist, World of Music,
and the Kansas Music Review. Palmer has
transcribed several works for clarinet choir. He has
served as president of KMEA and of Phi Beta Mu.
His other professional affiliations include Phi Mu
Alpha, Kappa Kappa Psi, and Phi Delta Kappa.